Delectable. Crispy. Cheesy. Creamy. Rolled-up goodness on my plate.
Hubs and I prepped for this new dish before church last night. (The kiddos had dinner before we left.) When we arrived home with tummies definitely rumbling, Hubs put the children in bed and I quickly assembled our wraps and fired up the electric skillet. In no time at all, these delicious burritos were on our plates.
Here’s the easy recipe. (original source)
- 1 c. cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 c. cooked rice (warmed or at room temperature)
- 1can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 organic green onion, finely diced (white and green parts)
- ½ organic red or green pepper, diced
- ¼ c. organic cilantro,chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- 2 c. shredded sharp cheese (we like it cheesy)
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas
- sour cream
- Heat a small amount of oil in electric skillet. I
- n a bowl, mix rice, chili powder, cumin, and garlic salt together. Add everything BUT the cheese and sour cream. Combine evenly.
- Sprinkle cheese generously on an open burrito. Dollop with small spoonfuls of sour cream. Add your chicken/rice mixture down the middle.
- Roll like a typical burrito and seal seam with a touch of sour cream.
- Place seam side down in the heated skillet. Grill for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve with organic salsa and tortilla chips. And homemade lemonade. Mmmmm.
By the way, organic tortilla chips are delicious.
This meal had several “firsts” for me.
I had never bought a lime before. Do you know how to select those? I sure didn’t, but then again, neither did the lady beside me at Harris Teeter. =)
Cilantro was another first-timer as well. Ever.
And the green onions.
Does that make me odd?
In spite of the new-to-me items of this recipe, it turned out fabulous. Sure the cilantro was a new flavor to my taste buds, but I enjoyed it. It felt good to branch out and try something different.
You never know, you may love it. We did.
I may have just grilled another one- just for me. At three o’clock in the afternoon. They are awesome.
How about you? ‘Fess up and tell me what’s new-to-you on your grocery list.